Saturday, August 11, 2007

Book Review - Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Date: August 10, 2007
Author: Christopher Moore
Title: Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story
Rating: 7/10

How I got a hold of this book: I bought it at Kramerbooks because I wanted a book that would make me laugh.
Where I read this book: Metro, home
This book made me feel: Happy that I have a sense of humor that can appreciate a book like this.

Why I like it: Christopher Moore books push the envelope in story, but they are consistently funny particularly about a character's facial expressions and minor actions.
Why I don't like it: Usually about 20 pages before the ending of a Christopher Moore book the story becomes muddled. He wants the ending to be a wrap, but there are so many stories to turn into one string.
The plot in five words: Vampire/friends/lovers/San Francisco/death

This book made me think of: You Suck by Moore which is the sequel to this book.
Memorable character: The Animals who are the Safeway midnight crew.
Memorable quote: Tommy had only been in the Safeway once before when it was still open: the day he applied for the job. Now it seemed entirely too active, and entirely too quiet without the Stones or Pearl Jam blasting over the speakers.

Person I met while reading this book: Staff at Breadline in Washington, DC.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took me to read the book: I decided to use more raw ginger in my cooking.
If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be: Anyone who likes humor. Book snobs or dimestore paperback afficionados would like Moore's books.
How this book changed my life: I just know during this project I will need to read Moore books to put my heart back where it belongs. Humor is grounding. After a lot of history books or well written literature it's like my heart is stuck in my mind. Humor puts it back.

Will I read it again: Most likely
Notes: I can't wait until another Moore book comes out. He is just really good at detailing the little actions and adds humor to the action; a pout is exaggerated. Plus he tells stories that he probably experienced or knows of someone who did; i.e., midnight crew turkey bowling.

No comments: