Saturday, December 1, 2007

Book Review - Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris

Date: November 6, 2007
Author: Joanne Harris
Title: Blackberry Wine
Rating: 5/10

How I got a hold of this book: Not sure where I bought it as it was a summer impulse buy, and I just read it recently.
Where I read this book: Metro, home
This book made me feel: Like I was back in the world of Chocolat
Why I like it: Fantasy, herb legends, gardening, magic in what is grown from the ground. Synergy between all entities is recognized.
Why I don't like it: Too much like Chocolat. Author didn't expand range an ounce. Makes her depth on par with mass market paperback novel writers.
The plot in 5 words: village/garden/magic/friendships/gossip

This book made me think of who: Juliette Binoche, the main character in Chocolat the movie.
Memorable character: Joe Cox
Memorable quote: There wasn't one. I was really looking, too. First time that's happened.
Person I met while reading the book: Ann from Knit and Stitch who is teaching me to knit socks.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I learned how to knit socks, and I joined the Rockin' Sock Club.
If I could recommend this book to one person it would be: Someone on a 5-hour airplane trip who needs a light read.
How this book changed my life: I really wanted to read something of substance, and a book worthy of quotes after it.
Will I read it again: not likely
Notes: I was going to write up a thorough review based on author interviews, and online book reviews, but it's too much trouble for this book. It's a fast read.

No comments: