Saturday, December 1, 2007

Book Review: Land of a Thousand Hills: My Life in Rwanda by Rosamond Halsey Carr with Ann Howard Halsey

Date: November 27, 2007
Author: Rosamond Halsey Carr with Ann Howard Halsey
Title: Land of a Thousand Hills: My Life in Rwanda
Rating: 5/10


I bought it: At Politics and Prose for a book club I didn't attend.
Where I read this book: Home, metro
This book made me feel: Educated. I learned history I didn't know.
Why I like it: Rosamond's love of Rwanda is contagious.
Why I didn't like it: Very hoity-toity about tea parties, elite friends
The plot in five words: land/people/division/business/home

This book made me think of: Time magazine article with image of river of people dead from Rwandan genocide.
Memorable character: Sembagare
Memorable quote: This democracy will kill us all, madame.
Person I met while reading this book: Knitting group at Politics and Prose.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: Finished knitting my first pair of socks.
If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: Angel Combs who noted the image in Time Magazine at the same time I did.
How this book changed my life: Didn't think Rwanda was ever beautiful.
Will I read it again: Not likely

Notes: I think it it a good book to read for freshman history classes about Africa. Again, it is a little elitist in the story i.e., name dropping, tea parties. Maybe I'm just amazed at all the dignitaries Rosamond knew. As a white person maybe she was invited to places that black people would not have been invited(?) Should we just say YES. It read like an honest betrayal.

No comments: