Saturday, September 29, 2007

Book Review - Unless by Carol Shields

Date: September 28, 2007
Author: Carol Shields
Title: Unless
Rating: 9/10

How I got a hold of this book: I borrowed it from the Montgomery County Public Library Silver Spring branch. I returned it today.
Where I read this book: Metro, home, lunchbreak sitting outside work.
This book made me feel: That there are geniuses in the world who are not offensive when they first introduce themselves.
Why I like it: It's brilliant! It's not a humorous subject, but towards the end I realized how funny some parts were, and then I relized how incredibly comprehenisve. Reta, though passionate is still at a distance, and yet, it's mind-boggling how we get to know her.
Why I don't like it: Why do I feel the author at a distance when all the actions of the characters are in my face.
The plot in five words: women/love/discovery/writing/revelation

This book made me think of: Kim Nicholaus, fomer owner of Fremont Place Book Company who recommended this book to me many years ago. In fact I wrote an email to FPBC to see if they can forward my email for more title suggestions.
Memorable character: Norah Winters.
Memorable quote: The conjugation and (sometimes) adverb unless with its elegiac undertones, is a term used in logic, a word breathed by the hopeful or by writers of fiction wanting to prise open the crusted world and reveal another plane of being, which is similar in its geographical particulars and peopled by those who resemble ourselves.
Person I met while reading this book: A woman was knitting on the metro, and I asked if she was going to Stitches East.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I used knitting as a conversation opener. I also asked staff at Now and Then in Takoma Park, Maryland if they were going to Stitches East.

If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be: I organized a fledgling book club that never went past the fledgling stage. Two people always showed up, and I would recommend the book to them. In fact, I did recommend the book to them via email. I then bought one of the recommendations that one of the two recommended back.
How this book changed my life: It's brilliant, the last 20 pages so much is revealed that I relized how the pages to the ending were just right. All of life, it's day to day home, work, love anything are in this book. The only author that can write humour into a serious subject so skillfully is Louise Erdrich. To know this is life changing. I bought Stone Diaries because of this book.
Will I read it again: Most likely

Notes: I love this book. It's a focused feminist march, with participants holding the banner at the front. In between chanting slogans they are discussing what's new at home. A lot of women characters and some men, and they are all interesting. The layers of writing a book within a book with so many clues as if the author is saying Here's Me. I guessed that's what I was being told. I got more into it at the end and it read like a sleeper movie until I realized the incredible foundation of knowledge about the story I was handed all along. Excellent craft. Good book club book.

No comments: