Sunday, September 23, 2007

#14 Unless by Carol Shields

Up to page 74. This is another one that I've waited a few years to start because of the cover and the blurb on the back. As I'm reading the tempo is different. It's like my heart beat, which is not duh-duh, but rather zzzzz-duh. So, sometimes it flows, and then it stutters. This is not bad, actually, I think the writing is well-crafted. The words are definitely carefully chosen as there are so many one liners that are beautiful.

I'm sorry, but I have no plans to be charming on a regular basis. Anyone can be charming. It's really a cheap trick, mere charm, so astonishingly easy to perform, screwing up your face into sunbeams, and spewing them forth.

What I haven't encountered in other books recently is the discussion of women/feminisim as a part of the plot/the point of the story. I've read books with strong women characters, but not writing that obviously wants women's roles as a topic of discussion during a book club meeting of this book. This is good! Maybe that's why it's so different and jarring. Not because of the tempo of the book, but the tempo itself is a reflection of the topics I haven't encountered in other books recently. It could still be the writing, though. It's amazing how the words of a book are felt, the tempo felt.

No comments: