Sunday, January 27, 2008

Book Review: Ralph Ellison: A Biography by Arnold Rampersad

Date: January 27, 2008
Author: Arnold Rampersad
Title: Ralph Ellison: A Biography
Rating: 8/10

How I got this book: First, I borrowed a copy from the library. However, when I visited my twin's Bar preparation class, I bought a copy.
Where I read this book: Home, metro, restaurant at twin's class, twin's house.
This book made me feel: I learned more about outside influences of successful writers, and how they may fail in writing future books, yet gain in popularity.
Why I like it: It's well written. Sure, I wanted to complete the over 500 pages so that I could get to a new book, but I knew I was going to learn a lot over those pages. I wasn't bored, and not really antsy, but interested.
Why I don't like it: Ralph Ellison was intelligent, he had ambition, but he took the time to market himself as a certain type of writer, that in the end he didn't have time or focus to write the second book.
The plot in five words: division, art, travel, money, transition

This book made me think of: Toni Morrison - successful and prolific. She finished more than 1 novel. Ralph Ellison resisted supporting her in her endeavors. It could be because she would take his spotlight as a black writer, it could be because she was female. Those options were explored within the book. Not sure if there could be another option except personality difference.

Memorable character: Ralph Ellison. He was portrayed as a man with his own direction, his own focus, and loyalties.
Memorable quote: There were so many within essays that Ellison wrote, that I didn't tag them. I would just recommend that you read the book.
Person I met while reading this book: When I visited my twin at her bar preparation class a shuttle was dispatched to pick me up from the metro to the hotel. It was free, and I just said, "Hello" to the bus driver. It was cold and rainy, and it was great to have such a free ride.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I started to telcommute on Fridays instead of Wednesdays. On Fridays I stay at my twin's house so that an adult is home when her kids are home from school. Because I don't have a car my twin usually drives me home Saturday afternoon. It is quite a change in my view of weekends.

If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be: History professor
How this book has changed my life: I will read a Saul Bellow book. I didn't know about him before. Maybe I'll read Invisible Man.
Will I read it again: Not likely:

Notes: Ralph Ellison is driven, he is intelligent, he is torn between what geography created him (Oklahoma), and what geography will make him (New York City.) He walks a tightrope between being a token black on many art commisions/boards, and in this way doesn't feel it's his duty to support other black artists to succeed on these very same boards. He has an idea as to what success is, and it's about popularity, and stipends, and experience. However, as a writer, all of his paid activities get in the way of his writing, he is not focused. I would recommend this book as it brings up questions that would be good for a book club; basically, what would you do in his shoes? He is not a hero or a villian, he is a successful businessman/teacher/lecturer who wrote a ground-breaking book.

No comments: