Sunday, February 17, 2008

Book Review: Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry by Gail A. Eisnitz

Date: February 17, 2008
Author: Gail A. Eisnizt
Title: Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
Rating: 8/10

I borrowed it from: The Silver Spring branch of the Montgomery County Public Library. I first heard of it from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I asked her at a conference what was the inspiration to go from vegetarian to vegan, and she said this book. That was in the summer, but I've been thinking of it. I have to return in by Thursday, so I read most of its 300 pages today. It was a quick read, and left me shaken.
Have I returned it yet: No, but will soon.
Where I read it: Home, metro

This book made me feel: Shaken, angry, helpless, inspired.
Why I like it: Inspired by the courage and voice of those willing to speak against exploitive working conditions, government coverups, and inhumane treatment of animals.
Why I don't like it: It disgusts me the hold the meat industry has on the pockets of our elected officials.
The plot in five words: death/pain/exploitation/courage/voice

This book made me think of: The Jungle.
Memorable character: Gail A. Eisnitz
Memorable quote: After all the USDA corruption I'd encountered, this was the most brazen so far. This wasn't some midlevel supervisor at the USDA instigating a coverup. This was the highest-ranking agriculture official in the country, a member of the Cabinet, answerable only to the president of the United States, signing off on a document riddled with lies.

Person I met while reading this book: Bookstore staff where I bought Becoming Jane DVD.
Something memorable that happend in my life during the time it took to read this book: Sometimes when I run it feels natural.
If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: A person with clout, and a lot of listeners.
How this book has changed my life: I'll be a vegetarian again.
Will I read it again: most likely. Similarly there are times when I feel the need to reread Upton Sinclair's The Jungle.

Notes: Violation of workers, contaminated meat, awful working conditions, inhumane treatment of animals, classist disregard of workers, management looking at the clock and paycheck, society looking at the government, government looking at clock, paycheck, and political polls - are you sure this isn't The Jungle. I was almost in tears reading this because the exploitation of workers is still so pervasive, and of course it's in the meat industry. I'm exhausted reading it. I recommend you read it, too. Choose wisely in what you eat, as you are your own best health advocate.

No comments: