Sunday, August 5, 2007

Book Review - Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai

Date: August 5, 2007
Author: Kiran Desai
Title: Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard
Rating: 6/10

How I got a hold of this book: I bought it at Kramerbooks. I started to read Inheritance of Loss, and wondered if she could write a comedy/satire as advertised on the cover.
Where I read this book: Mayorga Cafe, and home.

This book made me feel: Giddy. It's fanciful and the characters are the same from the beginning of the book until the end. There is definite food for a book club, but there is also the potential to just enjoy reading a book.

Why I like it: Well written. Exploits failings so quickly that we do not condemn any particular character. In fact we can find an endearing quality in each character. So, although they do not change, we are exposed to little fanciful dreams of each character. It is short, and there is writings about food.
Why I don't like it: Each character is a broad comedy. No poetry except in the discussion of Kulfi's food in the beginning. The expanse of her mind mirrors the discussion of food. However, in the end she becomes a flatter character with an obsession just like the others.

The plot in five words: monkeys/obsession/twists/action/stillness
This book made me think of what: Life of Pi because of food and animals.
Memorable character: Kulfi, obsessed with food masterpieces, and not daily drudgery until she makes her obsession seem like drudgery to the reader. It seems to the characters in the book she is still apart from them.
Memorable quote: Describing drunk monkeys who before would assault people sober:
'Yes,' agreed one man. 'In fact they were endearing in their naughtiness. . . '

Person I met while reading this book: Staff at Mayorga Cafe. It took me less than a day to read it.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I ate a dried apricot by itself.
If I could recommend this book to one person it would be: Those who just need a break, but aren't willing to read sloppy writing. People going on a trip.
How this book changed my life: It's not a waste of time to read a short book in 90 degree weather.
Will I read it again: not likely.

Notes: It would be an excellent book club book as so many characters mirror others, and they may end up at the same incident. A good book to read while going away. A fanciful fun book. Fun like the movie Tortilla Soup.

Because the characters all have at least one endearing quality, and most have just a couple qualities, they are cuddly and lovable. A great book for the serious times of now. The format is obvious. A lot could be said between people in a book club, and it would be a fun book club, but there is more craft in it's action than a dime store book, or even Christopher Moore books. I read CM books to pick me up when I'm down.

No comments: