Friday, October 5, 2007

Book Review - Iran Awakening: One Woman's Journey to Reclaim her Life and Country by Shirin Ebadi

Date: October 4, 2007
Author: Shirin Ebadi
Title: Iran Awakening: One Woman's Journey to Reclaim her Life and Country
Rating: 7/10

I bought it: at Politics and Prose. I had never heard of the book or the author, but it was on a display table, and looked interesting.
Where I read this book: Home, metro, lunch break
This book made me feel: Like I need to stop owning the word democracy as a western idea. The basic idea of democracy, basic human rights is universal.
Why I like it: I inhaled the information. I learned more about Iran/USA historical relations; what times USA supported Iran, and what times it supported Iraq to invade Iran. So few people represent, and egotistically think they are the only ones to know, the minds of their own country's inhabitants.
Why I don't like it: It flowed, great story, and was informative. However, the tone was almost distant. I realized that it reads like a Iran 101 lecture to western students. The writing wasn't poetry, it was *just* non-fiction. To the point, which was appreciated.
The plot in five words: Iran/women/democracy/restriction/violation
This book made me think of: Reading Lolita in Tehran. If I remember correctly, both authors referenced the same failed assasination attempt on literary types.

Memorable character: Leila, and the consequences of men gang raping and murdering her: (pg 114 paperback) In this instance, the judge ruled that the "blood money" for the two men was worth more than the life of the murdered eleven-year-old girl, and he demanded that her family come up with thousands of dollars to finance their executions..

Memorable quotes:
(pg 173 paperback) When dissidents or just regular old intellectuals come out of prison, often they are not celebrated for simply being brave and having survived but are pruriently examined for their conduct in prison. Did they succumb and agree to videotaped confessions? Did they sign letters? Did they make lists of their comrades? By judging what ethically should be immune from judgment - the response of an individual to a form of torture - we enable the interrogator's tactics.

(page 209 paperback) It reminds me of a truth that I have learned in my lifetime, one that is echoed in the history of Iranian women across the ages: that the written word is the most powerful tool we have to protect ourselves, both from the tyrants of the day and from our own traditions.

Person I met while reading this book: Someone else on the Orioles site attended the Philly 05 PJ concert.

Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I marked pages of this book. After rereading the book I changed the rating from a 5 to a 7. The memorable event was reading this book. It lodged under my skin even though the words quickly passed under my eyes. Shirin through a legal battle in the US helped decrease censorship in the US. Totally ironic and incredible.

If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: Anti-censorship lawyer.
How this book changed my life: Democracy is not something to hold but shared, it is not the property of a country to decide what other country can express it. Within all countries are people fighting for basic human rights which is the foundation of democracy.
Will I read it again: not likely

Notes: This read like a lecture, and anyone interested in international policy would benefit from this introductory course. Ms. Ebadi wants the cultural exchange of ideas between Iran and US and Iran and other countries, but does not want to leave her country. She fights for her country to the judiciary of her country. Across nations citizens define democracy similary, define basic rights similarly, the belief in separation of religion and government similary, and whose leaders use the guise of national security to decrease basic rights including increasing censorship. The basic understanding of humanness is common. If histories between countries are politically marred, that does not exclude a current dialogue and exposure of human rights abuses, which is more effective in changing policy than an outside invasion. Invasion only strengthens a position of restriction and violence of one country towards it's own people in the name of national security. I bet Farsi is beautiful. I have some books of poetry from the middle east, but I'm looking into more.

No comments: