Sunday, August 12, 2007

Book Review - Cooking with Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship with Recipes by Amanda Hesser

Date: August 12, 2007
Author: Amanda Hesser
Title: Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes
Rating: 5/10

How I got a hold of this book: I bought it yesterday at Kramerbooks. I had been eyeing it for 3 years or so. Yesterday I saw the movie, No Reservations. After that movie I went on an impulse shopping spree of foodie books.
Where I read this book: Home and at Kramerbooks' cafe.
This book made me feel: That I don't cook enough.
Why I like it: I'm going to try some of the recipes. It was quick to read, and I could relate to the progression of a relationship interspersed with anecdotes of food.
Why I don't like it: Too much foie gras, too much meat. Although she has supporting family and friends, it seems that in parts she's not that likeable: controlling, insecure. I guess it's an honesty I may not usually read.
The plot in five words: food/love/friendship/family/relationship

This book made me think of: Me. Why am I not like Amanda Hesser as I love food. Also, why would I want to be like Amanda Hesser even though I like food.
Memorable character: Amanda's grandmother
Memorable quote: 'You know,' Jessie said 'no milk in any drink after eleven. Everyone knows that.'

Person I met while reading this book: Someone in the cashier line at Whole Foods remarked how he and I both like chocolate chip products.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I saw Becoming Jane. It's time to celebrate the choice of being single. She didn't seem happy to make the choice. This is why I recognize it is an honor to be in a position to celebrate being single. Honor those single women who were able to live fulfilling lives before us.
If I could recommend this book to one person it would be to: A foodie.
How this book changed my life: I realized I don't want to be a foodie if it involves name dropping, excessive pride, and control issues. I think Amanda was just being honest. I can see myself going to the dark side of excessive pride if I had people over and I put a lot of work into a dish they may not recognize. I will research more recipes by Jesuits.

Will I read it again: Most likely (the recipes sounded very good).

Notes: I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes. As she is so comfortable cooking vegetables I wonder why she eats so much meat. This memoir of sorts seemed very hones. Even she must know she painted herself at times in a good light, and at times in a way that would be best to change. Writing is a great way to earn a living. Am I jealous :) Perhaps. She had the guts to believe in herself, though.

So many food memoirs include the relationship with the spouse. This one is a given since that's what it is all about, really. However, in Julie & Julia there is family, friends, husband. In this book there is family, friends, husband. In Calvin Trillin books there is family, taxi cab drivers who give good food tips, and I forget who else. I was wondering if in order for me to write about food I have to have a partner. However, Babette in Babette's Feast doesn't have a partner. She had a partner, but it looks like she is going beyond not just feeding others, but feeding her soul as well. I am most like her, and would like to be as generous. However, it looks like family, friends, and spouse add the spice to the spice cake, eh? Time to consider my family and friends when I bake.

No comments: