Friday, July 6, 2007

Book Review: Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating

#1 Finished
Date: July 6, 2007
Author: Jane Goodall with Gary McAvoy and Gail Hudson
Title: Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating
Rating: 6/10

How I got a hold of this book: I bought it at Kramer's Books because I thought it would be the best book to get me on my Next Stop Graduate School blog journey.
Where I read this book: Metro, home
This book made me feel: Strong and weak at the same time. Strong in choice and conviction, weaker in action.

Why I like it: People can change. A vegetarian organic diet is a powerful statement.
Why I don't like it: I guess for legal purposes some corporations' names were not used. Monsanto and others were, but mostly it was just a general Goliath.

The plot in five words: food/safety/tragedy/action/change
This book made me think of: A vegetarian diet.
Memorable character: Belo Horizonte, Brazil, which is the only city in the capitalist world that has decided to make food security a right of citizenship.

Memorable quote: Remember, every food purchase is a vote.
Person I met while reading this book: Baked new cookie recipes from King Arthur Flour Cookie Cookbook. Bought my first vegan book, How it All Vegan.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: My AC doesn't work. I have it set for 60 degrees, and it's almost 80 degrees in my apartment.

If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: My brother-in-law, my twin's husband. He has a compassionate heart, and I think he would be swayed to consider vegetarianism or at least consider food choices that don't negatively impact the planet. At this time he thinks GMOs are feeding the starving, and are necessary. They are feeding cattle that feed the rich, more like.

How this book changed my life: I'll frequent farmers markets deligently.
Will I read it again: Most likely for the resources page, but I may give it away to a library.

Notes: I'm glad there's a resources page because I am interested in sustainable food production, and at some point I may want to be more active. I asked about food security, what it would look like in your community on a message board, and no one responded. It was a telling tale of fear to discuss our food options, and it also reflected a malaise. Those that bash any and all politicians still eat McDonalds.

No comments: