Sunday, July 29, 2007

Book Review - Look at Me by Anita Brookner

Date: July 28, 2007
Author: Anita Brookner
Title: Look at Me
Rating: 8/10

How I got a hold of this book: I bought it at Kramerbooks. I like her books. As a single person at no one's disposal they speak to me.

Where I read this book: Outside Taking Action for Animals conference during breaks, home, metro, cafes.

This book made me feel: Validated yet sad. Frances is the character of all books I've read that is most like me in feeling and how others treat her. It's like we're trying to row a book up the social upstream. On the other hand when I found I wasn't like her socially, I was relieved that I wasn't a complete lost case. She actually seems more sociable than I, but we have a lot in common in sentiment.

Why I like it: Sharp writing. The writing flows like time in an ordinary day. Then there's a new moment of passion, which had a build-up scenes before, that directs the flow in an unexpected direction.

Why I don't like it: Although I like her books because her characters are similar, maybe she knows too much about one subject.

The plot in five words/Pearl Jam songs: Alone, Sad, Education, Not for You, Parting Ways.

This book made me think of who: Me
Memorable Character: Nancy - all of them really, she has just enough characters, and just enough time to develop their actions. As a reader I find myself hoping the best for certain characters, and wondering when other characters will leave. This means I'm emotionally invested in the book, which is a success for the writer. Very well done character development. They all have some redeeming characteristic and flaw. They are not comic or global with one trait, but some have more flaws then others, and some have less flaws then others.

Person I met while reading this book: I attended Taking Action for Animals yesterday. I was able to hear Colleen Patrick-Goudreau speak, and I even complimented her on her podcasts. I find them very informative, and she is a passionate podcaster.

Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I tried for Pearl Jam tickets to the Vic Theater show in Chicago August 2nd. 2.5 hours of refreshing, and no tickets. We all need a little spice in life, though.

If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: Someone like me who will appreciate it. Of course anyone who loves writing that is like a flowing river in a still night of darkness would like it. As we all know a night is never still.

How this book changed my life: I want to write a story of one page daily. Where to start?

Will I read it again: Most likely

Notes: The main character is a published short story writer, and has a sharp insight although she doesn't see herself clearly. I want to write and be published, but I realize I don't have the sharp insight. I like how Pablo Neruda can tease words from a blank page to appear, and I'll probably use that type of language. It was very inspiring.

No comments: