Saturday, January 12, 2008

Book Review: The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich

Date: January 10, 2008
Author: Louise Erdrich
Title: The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse
Rating: 9/10 (Can a book be perfect? I was struggling to give this a 10 or not?)

I bought it: At Fremont Place Book Company probably the day it came out in hardcover.
Where I read this book: Seattle, Maryland, DC
This book made me feel: That I can leave worries behind my back to listen intently to an experienced storyteller.
Why I like it: Characters are complete, sadness, laughter, story with substories like life. Interesting and engrossing like life. Beliefs and facts like life.
Why I don't like it: Waiting for her next novel.
The plot in 5 words: Ojibwe/Catholic/humor/sadness/years

This book made me think of: Peet's Cafe in Fremont District of Seattle. I read it the second time on the second floor of that cafe.
Memorable Character: Father Damien(very rare that I choose the main character as the most memorable)
Memorable Quote: I started to cry in earnest, unstoppable because of the evil taste of this thing they called olive.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I posted a picture of me eating a cookie on a message forum, and someone responded as if he/she had been waiting for me to do that.
If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: Helen in Seattle
How this book changed my life: Oh, man! When in the pit of writing despair, time to sink into this story. It restores my faith in authors.
Will I read it again: Most likely
Notes: This is the third time I read it. I bought it new first edition hardcover. I plan on reading it again, and again, and again over many years. My favorite story. It reminds me when I was able to devote a lot of time to reading; a very good time, and yet a time of unemployment. Probably why I associate it with "saving" me at different times.

No comments: