Saturday, January 5, 2008

Start and Recall: The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

I started this book twice. I can understand that the artistry is appreciated, and there is attention to the smallest of details. However, the author doesn't like her characters. The ones she writes most about have next to no redeeming qualities. It's not enjoyable to trudge through the smallest of details. I'm not inspired.

I always feel something is wrong with me if I don't like a book that has received great reviews. However, life is short, why torture myself to read a book when I know there is a book that can inspire me waiting on my bookshelf to rescue me whenever life becomes boring.

That is the best part of life, to not relive a wonderful experience, but to be rescued by it. After I realized that the Kiran Desai book was just not for me, I took this book down from the shelf. The slowness of the week all of sudden faded away into incredible story telling. I sunk into the words like they were a easy boy chair, soothed and relaxed. Louise Erdrich loves her characters. There is no doubt about it or she wouldn't give them the ability to laugh, and give the reader the ability to see the irony that Louise does. Man, she can write. I haven't kept all of her books. Some of them I donated to the library, but they are all good, and some are just out and out phenomenal. She is my favorite writer. Man, I was truly rescued by her story telling last night. Sometimes I just have to realize that I need inspiration for my life to feel worthy of every moment, and not just living it from action to action. Her words do that to me. Every moment is potentially the most inspirational moment of my life. Man, I LOVE her WRITING!