Sunday, February 10, 2008

Book Review - Death in Summer by William Trevor


Date: February 10, 2008
Author: William Trevor
Title: Death in Summer
Rating: 7/10

I bought it where: At Kramerbooks. It was an impulse buy. I liked The Story of Lucy Gault about 4 years ago, and I knew I would eventually read more of his books.
Where I read this book: Home, metro, my twin's.
This book made me feel: Anxious, nervous. Trevor writes suspense successfully. My feelings were appropriate given the writing.
Why I like it: Layers of suspense
Why I don't like it: Suspense creates a wall between reader and words. It felt like the action was happening outside a window that was part of a wall 5 feet away.
The plot in 5 words: death/kidnap/suspense/history/final

This book made me think of: A man who frequented Fremont Place Books when I worked there in 2002-2003. He recommended The Story of Lucy Gault.
Memorable character: Thaddeus. Strong, silent, lonely, and could possibly learn to love his child.
Memorable quote: Death is mysterious, he finds himself reflecting, in ordering so calmly what life can not.
Person I met while reading this book: I visited Chow.com, and felt I discovered a hidden treasure.
Something memorable that happened in my life during the time it took to read the book: I realized that where I work will incorporate Web2.0 into the next launch of the website in August 2008.
If I could recommend this book to one person, it would be to: A book club
How has this book changed my life: I'm not a big reader of suspense, but I'm willing to expand my horizons with this author as my guide. His writing style is too good to miss.
Will I read it again: Most likely

Notes: Even though I read the ending before I finished the book, I was still affected by the ordering and method of words that created the suspense. The use of each character, the few characters, and the scenes, familiar, yet they contributed to the anxiety. The suspense was very well written. Just look at question #6 of the Reading Group Guide. That's the type of question I would have created. Also, I don't know if question #10 of the same guide has value. I think it was a throw-away death. I guess death does happen, but it seemed too convenient to the ending.

No comments: