Sunday, July 15, 2007

#3 Evening by Susan Minot

Up to page 90.

A co-worker before her last day on the job recommended me to her book club group, and they invited me to join them. This will be the first title I read for that book club. I'm pretty excited about it. Much better reading than running books. I want to finish it quickly because I'm on the verge of seeing the movie, but I want to finish the book first. With all of the A-list movie stars in that movie, I wonder if it must have an enticing screenplay.

This book inspired me to write poetry. Take a look at a couple lines on page 39 describing what was seen on a road trip from the train to the wedding house:
A man stood with his hands on his hips staring at the barn door. An apple tree floated beside a yellow farmhouse. Harris pointed to a wreath of flowers at a turn near Thomaston and memorials on town greens were polished wedges cut from local granite.

I mean, it's Juicy! So much detail. It made me think of what poets need to know The truth is in the detail. I think the poet who wrote the poem about a red wheelbarrow wrote that line. The words are a little like a list, but more interesting.

The word for tone is nebulous. Time shifts back and forth, and with it what the characters say also float on the steady stream of air like they are flexible.

Question of the day: Is Ann Grant, surrounded by 4 of her 5 children, and the former wife of 3 husbands, a loner in hindsight? Is a loner, never a loner?

No comments: