Friday, September 7, 2007

#12 Heat by Bill Buford

Up to page 116. I've tried to read a couple other books, but failed. They just didn't hold my interest long enough. I have a sympathy with this writer. I went to pastry school, and when he describes the wrong that occurs behind closed doors in professional kitchens I totally understand. He's not sympathetic, in fact, he's just telling it like it is, and at the same time I guess he is really questioning why this happens. It's not a complimentary picture he presents, actually.

He's also hilarious, As with belly buttons, I concluded, there are two kinds of pasta: innies and outies. Gems like this are scattered throughout, and there are starting to come out more and more that the focus is on the craft as opposed to the politics of the kitchen. I'm looking foward to reading the rest.

Here's another blogger's review of it.

No comments: